I am about to kill YouSendIt.
Dudes, I have been going through the emo-est of times lately, the worst since I stopped being a teenager. And with these emo times comes emo music. Fortunately it's also good music (and most of it is not technically emo), so here you go, in no particular order: the Sad Nicki Playlist. COME, SHARE IN MY PAIN.
(Some of these will have good notations/explanations and some will not, because I am lazy and tired.)
(Also, please don't make me lj-cut this. I am too tired and I know damn well I will sit and agonize over what neat/esoteric cut text I ought to use and I just want to go to BED.)
01. Jenny Lewis - You Are What You Love
(originally posted and introduced to me by maaya
; notable especially for the lyrics: And at arm's length, it's Tim who said / I'm good at it, i've mastered it / Avoiding, avoiding everything / But you are what you love, Tim / Not what loves you back / And I'm in love with illusions so saw me in half / I'm in love with tricks / So pull another rabbit out your hat.
And that pretty much says it all.)
02. Rilo Kiley - I Never
Maybe it's got some underlying optimism going on there, but at the moment, to me, it kind of sounds like futility.
03. Judd and Maggie - Perfectly
Hometown heroes, personal friends/aquaintances of Boy. My anthem for Saturday night. Well. Parts of it, anyway. There's lots more at their site
; the song "Closer" is a pretty damn good fit as well.
04. Jason Mraz - I'm YoursSo I won't hesitate no more / No more, it cannot wait, I'm sure / There's no need to complicate / Our time is short / This is our fate, I'm yours.
05. Jason Mraz - Mr. Curiosity
Loves it, but the lyrics
are like a wrecking ball to the chest. The spontanous opera at the end is a bit...strange. I love Jason anyway.
06. Imogen Heap - Goodnight and Go
GET OUT OF MY HEAD, IMMI.
07. Dealership - Nerdy GirlLyrics.
If anyone wants to translate the Japanese, go for it. It's probably really simple.
08. The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong
This is the theme song for every crush I have ever had.
09. Nelson - Love and Affection
Okay, this is really just in here for the cheese factor.
10. Phil Collins - Sussudio
Here it is again! Might be a little too upbeat for the current situation though.
11. The Decemberists - Oceanside
be heavenly. I like the Decemberists. This is more wistful than emo.
12. The Long Winters - Stupid Stupid, you could call it that / Stupid, but you have no idea / How stupid I would feel / If fifteen years from now I see [him] / And [I say] why didn’t it happen between us, stupid?
13. The Long Winters - Cinnamon
Not really relevant, I just like it a lot right now. (Lyrics for the Long Winters.
14. The Promise Ring - Skips A Beat (Over You)
Oh, I couldn't have an emo playlist without an actual emo band.
15. Kings of Convenience - Once Around the Block
A cover of my favorite song ever in the history of everything; this version is important for other reasons.
16. Wilco - We're Just FriendsTry to talk me out of giving up.
Eh, it's close. Thanks a lot, Wilco. (Wilco lyrics.
17. Wilco - I'm the Man Who Loves You But if I could you know I would / Just hold your hand and you'd understand.
18. Wilco - True Love Will Find You in the End
Cover of Daniel Johnston's song. Don't be sad, I know you will / Don't give up until / True love will find you in the end.
No, really, thanks, Wilco.
19. Elvis Costello - I Want You
Not spot on or anything, but appropriately bitter
. I know I'm going to feel this way until you kill it.
20. Beulah - Popular Mechanics For LoversAnd there's no sense even tryin' / I know 'cause I've been tryin' all the time...
(For all your pretty much accurate Beulah lyrics
21. Beulah - DeltaAnd hey love, don't you think about me sometimes / think about you way more than I'd like.
22. Beulah - My Horoscope Said It Would Be A Bad YearAll you want to do is win when you're losin' / ... / my fate seems clear to me, man, it's out of my hands.
And for good measure:
23. Jeff Buckley - Grace
Because Jeff Buckley is brilliant. Period.
Okay, I think that's enough. The YSI dudes are on the phone asking me to cut it out. It's a good thing I can't find many New Trust songs, or this one
would probably be up here too.DISCLAIMER:
If you like any of the above music, please support the artists. La la la.SHAMELESS BIRTHDAY PROMOTION:
Seeing as it's now 2am on December 9th
, there is just one week remaining before birthdayings commence!