I had a post written up about LA, but it's not up to my standards yet, so in the meantime you get this:
A terrible thing has happened! I am worried that someone brought bedbugs into the building and now they are IN MY APARTMENT D: But I am not entirely convinced! Here is the evidence:
- I woke up yesterday with four itchy red bumps on my back. Two next to each other about an inch apart, one a few inches above them, and one sort of in the middle of my back, higher up. Last night, another one appeared on my side, toward the front of my rib cage (not on my back at all). There's another set of three, very close together (so it sort of looks like a scratch) on my right shoulder blade; I can't remember if that was there last night. They are all more or less on my right side, which I tend to sleep on.
- Apparently the three-bites-in-a-row is a characteristic of bed bugs, because they bite you and then they have to move for whatever reason, so they scoot up a little bit and bite you again.
- I Googled pictures of bedbug bites and some of them look like big gross splotches, but some of them look like mine (like mosquito bites).
- Jeremy seems to not have been bitten at all, but he says this is not necessarily strange because mosquito bites don't really effect him either. And sometimes bedbug bites don't show any visible signs?
- BUT! He sleeps with no shirt, and I wear a t-shirt and shorts, so why are they not going for the bare flesh and eating my back, which is covered by a shirt, instead?
- I changed sheets just to be safe, and this morning I noticed that there were little brown spots across the sheet at about shoulder/back level (bedbugs leave little blood spots on the bedding). But they were brown, not like fresh blood. One of my fitted sheets had had dried blood spots on it a while back, though, but I can't remember if it was this one or the other one. I chalked it up to my having picked something on my arm and it bleeding a little on the bed.
- BUT! The spots are all the way across the bed, on Jeremy's side too.
- BUT! There are no bedbug carcasses, or bedbug poop, or anything. And I checked inside my shirt, too, because I figured if they're going to leave blood spots on the sheets, they'd probably also leave them in my shirt, where they were biting me. But I found nothing!
- We also lifted up the mattress and everything. Nada. :(
- Neither Jeremy nor I have been anywhere lately where we'd have picked them up.
But yeah, I'm freaking out because if I do have them, they're really hard to get rid of--they can withstand heat and cold and can live for 18 months without feeding (why God made such a creature, I'll never know). I'll have to toss my mattress and box spring, and who knows what else :(
HALP. I am really hoping it was a rogue mosquito. Meanwhile, I sprayed rubbing alcohol on my mattress and washed my bedsheets and comforter in HOT water. They are in the dryer now. >:|
On top of all this, there was a hostage situation at the Discovery Channel headquarters in Silver Spring,
which is like 2 miles from my apartment. The gunman is dead now.
So uh...yeah, there's that.